Sunday, March 20

Somehow, I can feel my heart opening very wide


 Kenneth Noland, Blush, 1978 via here


                                          Kenneth Noalnd, Earthen Bound, 1960 via here


                            Series of recycled clutches found in Jakarta, Wednesday 16th March


                                                 Kenneth Noland, Gift, 1961 - 62 via here



                                              The dilemma: But I still love the clutches

Although I didn't officially take place in the bloggers day of silence last Friday For Japan with Love, it has been a strange time to A. start a blog, while B. feeling overwhelmed with what is going on in the world yet C. persist in posting images of my home and life when so many people have lost theirs. Out and about in jakarta on a day off last week,  finding some incredible recycled clutches that I wanted to share, followed by the beginnings of an unpublished post, then it all suddenly seemed ridiculous. I know life and all of it's terror, confusion and beauty must go on, but really, a post on clutches (or whatever the stand-in may be) in the midst of so much loss and heartbreak?

However, I found some happy and uplifting news that comes via Ann Thomas, an english teacher living in Japan - from the sydney morning herald. These are some extracts written from her blog and emails to her American Family via odemagazine.

Things here in Sendai have been rather surreal. But I am very blessed to have wonderful friends who are helping me a lot. I am now staying at a friend's home. We share supplies like water, food and a kerosene heater. We sleep lined up in one room, eat by candlelight, share stories. It is warm, friendly, and beautiful.
During the day we help each other clean up the mess in our homes. People sit in their cars, looking at news on their navigation screens, or line up to get drinking water. If someone has water running in their home, they put out a sign so people can come to fill up their buckets. There has been no looting. People keep saying, ''Oh, this is how it used to be in the old days when everyone helped one another.'' 
Quakes come. Last night they struck every 15 minutes.  No one has washed for several days. We feel grubby, but there are so much more important concerns than that for us now. I love this peeling away of non-essentials. Living fully on the level of instinct, of intuition.
I see no signs of fear. Somehow, I can feel my heart opening very wide. My brother asked me if I felt so small because of all that is happening. I don't. Rather, I feel part of something happening that is much larger than myself.
I took great comfort in this. And this and this as well. I still plan on sharing the Great Jakarta Recycled Clutch find. Just not at this moment.



Kenneth Noland, Refresh, 1999 via here



                                       Kenneth Noland, Mysteries Infanta, 2000 via here

No comments: