Tuesday, July 12

Grass can be greener


Was just writing an email to my dad when I found myself using the word darn and holiday in the same sentence. It was kind of tongue-in-cheek, but the moment I reread it, it sounded stupid and crazy. We have our next lot of visitors arriving in a few hours (the last ones having left on Sunday) and will all be heading off to Butu Karas, West Java again, returning on Sunday. As you all know, we have been having lots of little get-always lately with visiting friends. Of course we love showing people around and discovering new places together, but it’s also been a bit hectic. Hectic in a good way but still hectic nonetheless.


 I know I will reread this one day, when this adventure is over, and pinch myself that it ever really happened, and even kick myself for using words such as darn and hectic in this amazing context. Blasphemy! I know that we will eventually be back in Sydney, spending time with friends in much more fleeting ways, a bite to eat here, a lunch there and dreaming of these special holidays together. We will probably be quite holiday-less for some time as well, making this post all the more ridiculous. So be it I guess.


 The only thing I can say, is that when I came across this simple image of a clothesline blowing in the wind - it just jumped out at me. Again, one part of my brain knows this is ridiculous, to be missing this kind of thing when I know mountains of washing will await me each week on our eventual return to Australia. And it probably won't be all Arcadian visions of crisp white clothes gently swaying in the breeze either. More likely it will be midnight runs to the laundry to dry school uniforms in time! It's just that these images are such a lovely counterpoint to all the tropical islands of late. Again, I know that is an absurd statement, even perhaps indulgent and ungrateful and while I know I am not any of these things, this week I am just really missing simple domestic pleasures. Like tinkering in a garden. Or putting clothes on the line while yakking to the neighbours. I guess this really is proof that sometimes, no matter what kind of amazing things you are doing, the grass can still appear greener on the other side.

ps welcome Table Tonic-ettes! Sorry you have arrived during a little insane moment! Thanks Louise (again!)

6 comments:

deux chiens et un garcon said...

YES THAT OLD CHESTNUT.

LOVE THE REMIDER OF THE JOY OF CHATTING TO YOUR NEIGHBOUR OVER THE FENCE. IT DOESNT SEEM HAPPEN MUCH NOWDAYS.

LOVE SUN DRIED SHEETS AND TOWELS

April said...

I don't think there's anything ungrateful or wrong about missing home - it's where the heart is, after all (!) Holidays are lovely and everyone needs them, but they're meant to end. Being away from home - no matter how beautiful your surroundings - is still being away. And away is sometimes hard. Just take lots and lots of photos (as you have been doing!) and years from now you'll look back, completely reconstruct your memory and wonder why you ever left :)

sarah said...

Oh my goodness April - can you start writing my posts! You have just expressed EXACTLY how I feel and what I mean't to say. You nailed it. Thank you for being so articulate (and supportive) xo

sarah said...

Hi Jill - our old place in Sydney (tiny shared backgarden - my neighbour and I would meet out there at least a few times a day it seemed taking clothes on and off the line! Of course another old chestnut - don't know what you have until it's gone!! I never thought anything much at the time. Now I am longing for it ha!

rosaspicks said...

Agreeing with Sarah. April, you are an amazing writer!
The grass truly is always greener. I was living at the beach for years, and hardly appreciated it. Last year moved to the desert, and missing the beach terribly. Next move is to the forest and I'll probably long for the desert!
Ps. I'm really hoping my new home will have a laundry line!

sarah said...

Hi Rosa - yep it seems to be the human condition! Forest sounds beautiful and naturally, I've always wondered what it would be like to live in the desert. Funny that!