Monday, August 1

Wondrous bounty


These amazing volcanic beach rocks (they stretched for kilometres) left Jane and I speechless 
(except for the continuous chorus of oohing, aahing and refrains of 'nooo, but look at this one'). We were shocked at how breathtakingly beautiful they were, looking more like exquisite pottery shards with their amazing markings. Or like chunks of precious turquoise stone. To say we were excited to come across this place, or that this place even existed, would be the understatement of the year. Words such as mind-boggling, astonishing and stupefying might be better used instead.




Nature's a potter: perfect crackling glaze (with shells from another Flores beach)


If I had to give this stone a name - I'd call it a mid-century modern take on Japanese Raku pottery. 
Astonishing that this is a product of nature, not some beautiful handmade sculpture. 
I wouldn't have any trouble buying this from a gallery, but to just pick it from beach was amazing!



More again in the style of Japanese raku pottery markings

Windswept bounty as far as the eye can see......

12 comments:

Sarah - Squeezed Daily said...

Stunning, you must have looked along that beach for hours. love the photos, you have a good eye.
Sarah

sarah said...

Nearly. The comment was made that if heaven is a place where you fill your eternity with something you love - then collecting rocks and sea shells would be a contender. Could have stayed much longer Sarah. Was like a kid in a candy store!

rosaspicks said...

Amazing!! I can't imagine stumbling across this incredibly beautiful site!

Janie Kamenar said...

WHERE is this beach? I need to visit it, stat.

clare young said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, what incredible experiences you are all having and how beautiful to have them all documented here. (love the taupe stone sandwiched between the green ones... perfect!)

cheryl @ nefotlak. said...

love these rocks - my kids would go crazy!!!
(we have many a rock littered around the house from various adventures - especially ones that are very pretty and/or in the shape of a heart)
love your photos.
cheryl xox.

sarah said...

Thanks ladies. These rocks still astound me. I look at them every day. I fawn over them actually!

Anonymous said...

Hey theгe! I’ve been following
your blοg for a whіle now and fіnally got the courage to
go ahеаd and giνe you a shоut out fгom Neω
Caney Tx!
Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastіc job!


Take a look at my blog post gardening tips

Anonymous said...

Τhese are genuinely great ideas in about blogging.

Yοu have touсhed some gоod ρoints here.

Any way keep up ωrintіng.

Also vіsit my website ... greenhouse gasses

Anonymous said...

Tеrrifiс wοrk! That is the type οf infoгmation thаt are suρposeԁ to be shaгeԁ aсross thе ωeb.

Shamе οn Gоogle for nо longеr posіtiοning thiѕ
рublish uρpег! Come on oveг аnd tаlk
over with my web ѕіte . Thanκs =)

Feel fгee to viѕit my blоg pοst - orgаnіc potting sоil
*https://www.earthites.com/blogs/4536/1008/benefits-of-organic-potting-soil*

Anonymous said...

This iѕ a topiс that is neаr to
mу heart… Thank you! Whеrе аге your сontaсt details though?



Also visіt my blοg post - oгganiс pottіng soil ()

Anonymous said...

I fοr all time emailed this wеblog рost ρage to all my frіends,
sinсе if like tο read it afterωard my frіends ωill too.



Аlso visit my homepage: what is going green